Basics of vibrations and vibration measurement (Cat 1). Vibration fundamentals and analysis of vibration measurement with respect to rotating machines
What you’ll learn
- The standards measurement units for machine vibration that is displacement, velocity and acceleration
- Vibration theory and units used to indicate the amplitude and severity of vibrations
- An understanding of the vibration behavior of rotodynamic pumps
- An understanding of vibration Time Waveform signals, Frequency Spectrum and Shaft Orbit Plots and how to read this information
- Vibration measurement transducers and their application
- Basic engineering knowledge
- An understanding of rotary machines
- Industry experience
One of the most important condition monitoring tool for the rotary machines is the vibration analysis. This is equally true for the pumps and pumping systems. The pumps exhibit signature vibration signals related to hydraulic turbulence, cavitation in addition to sub-synchronous vibrations, synchronous vibrations, and super-synchronous vibrations related to vane-pass frequencies, and other vibration exciting phenomenon. Many of these vibration frequencies are common for other rotary machines including compressors, turbines etc., and therefore are of a much larger interest in general industry.
This course “Basics of Vibrations and vibration measurement (Cat 1)” comprises of all topics included in Cat 1 vibration analyst course as recommended by ISO 18436-2.
This course has 5 sections namely – Vibration principles, Data acquisition, Signal processing, Equipment knowledge, and Acceptance testing. In these sections the basic motion of vibration and related terms and terminology, the vibration measurement instruments and transducers, the Time Waveform signals, the Frequency Response FFT spectrum and Shaft Orbit Analysis, the basic knowledge of rotary equipment used in the industry and finally an introduction to ISO vibration testing and acceptance standards for different types of machines are covered. These concepts provide a sound basis to understand the fundamental of vibrations. Therefore, this course is a precursor to the very detailed courses on vibrations on pumps and pumping systems, namely – “Vibration measurement and acceptance criteria as per API 610, 12th edition” and “Vibration measurement and acceptance criteria a per ISO 9906 and HI 9.6.4 standards” already available on this website.
For advanced understanding of vibration measurement and vibration analysis Cat II and Cat III vibration analyst programs are recommended.
Who this course is for:
- Engineers, managers and supervisors keen to understand the rotodynamic pumps behavior
- Those responsible for condition monitoring and reliability program development
- Professionals interested to understand the vibration behavior of pumps and pumping systems