What you’ll learn
- Build web apps using Ruby on Rails
- Build automated test suites for complex web applications
- Become a confident web application developer
- Compete for the highest paying junior developer jobs
- Be proficient in back-end development
- Start your own business by bringing your ideas to life
- No prior experience necessary – enthusiasm and willingness to learn is all you need!
- A modern web browser and internet connection
- Software used in the course is free
- Some web basics like HTML/CSS will be helpful but not necessary
Professional Ruby on Rails Developer with Rails 5 Course Description
The Professional Ruby on Rails Developer with Rails 5 is the latest course brought to you by the creators of the best-selling Ruby on Rails course on Udemy! Built by taking 2 years of feedback from thousands of students over multiple Rails courses – it provides the best introduction to Web Applications Development using the wildly popular Ruby on Rails framework. It takes you from beginner to expert in just 8 weeks! With Rails 5 and the introduction of ActionCable you can now build realtime features like chatrooms with ease and we’ll show you how! This course is for students of all levels and backgrounds, those who have no experience in programming at all, those who have worked with other web app development frameworks but want to make the switch to or try Ruby on Rails and also for students who have tried Ruby on Rails in the past but want to take their skills to the next level, just to name a few.
Why Ruby on Rails? Since its introduction, Ruby on Rails has rapidly become one of the most powerful tools for building web applications for startups and existing software houses. Some of the top sites using Ruby on Rails are Basecamp, Twitter, Shopify, Github, LivingSocial, Groupon, Hulu, Airbnb, Yellow Pages and much more. It’s perfect for entrepreneurs or startups looking to rapidly prototype their ideas and bring them to life.
This course provides a very structured approach of teaching Rails and how to use Rails to implement ideas. It teaches the techniques to make the code work for the student. There will be video lectures, text follow-up lectures after each video lecture, homework, challenge projects and monthly code challenges. There will be references to free resources available on the internet to supplement the course materials. There is also a live chat channel where students from all our Rails courses hangout and help each other out with questions, solutions and general networking!
A big focus of this course is practice and understanding fundamentals. Most of the code is done from scratch limiting the use of shortcuts, generators and absolutely no scaffolding or “magic”. This is also accomplished by diving right in and using a pre-configured Ruby on Rails development environment in the cloud eliminating time required to setup a local development environment and the roadblocks that go with it.
Some key aspects of this course are:
– Realtime Chatroom and Comments feature using ActionCable!
– Rails 5 using free cloud-based Integrated Development Environment
– Live chat help from other students, you’re joining a community of developers who will help you ease your way in!
– Working with git for version control and github as code repository
– 20 hours of high quality content with text lectures after every video lecture with code and directions
– Help from professional Teaching Assistant in the Q & A section and also in the live chat!
– Rails MVC structure in-depth – Models, Views, Controllers
– Conceptualization and Design
– Building own authentication system from scratch using default Rails stack, including admin feature, log in/logout and signup
– Working with Bootstrap for UI, Amazon Web Services for file/image hosting, Gravatars
– Test Driven Development (TDD) for majority of the application, introduced very early on. Build automated test suite side-by-side with the app featuring model (unit) and feature (integration) tests with the default rails testing framework
– Model and non-model backed forms, implementing like/dislike voting feature
– Migrations, one-to-many and many-to-many associations at the database layer and implementation using Rails and ActiveRecord
– much, much more!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to build web applications
- Anyone who wants to build multiple income streams by building projects
- Anyone who wants to start their own business
- Anyone who wants to freelance
- Anyone who wants to be a valued developer in the workforce
- Anyone who wants to build their dreams and bring them to life